My Christmas 2012

I have been terribly busy at work lately. Today is a little bit different though. Because of that, I finally had the chance to visit my blog. Yeah, I've been reduced to a visitor of my own blog. 

When I lost my job in August, the first thing I dreaded was coming to terms with the fact that I would have no means of a regular income. Finding a job nowadays is quite hard; not to mention, finding a job that you actually like is harder. My next big fear after the I-would-be-jobless-by-September episode was . . . Christmas. Unlike most other countries, the Filipino Christmas season unofficially starts as soon as the clock strikes 12 midnight on the 1st of September, it being the 1st -ber-ending month. Christmas carols are played on the radio, Christmas trees are set up, and last but not least, TV shows start their daily countdown. I would immediately switch channels with a frown on my face. I could not feel any excitement for the coming holidays. Imagine Ebenezer Scrooge. I was being cold and bitter, so to speak.

By October, I finally got a new job. Gradually, I started to shake off my stance against merrymaking. It was easier to blend with all the crowd in anticipation of Christmas. I could actually stay in front of the TV whenever the daily countdown would take place. I still won't have much to spend for gifts or parties. In fact, the company I'm working for isn't holding a Christmas party but will just sponsor a buffet in a nearby restaurant. It will be the first time ever, in my history of employment, to experience Christmas this way (or more aptly, not to experience Christmas in ways that I used to).

When the year ends, 2012 will have been one of the toughest in my life. I won't go into all the dark details because they're all in the past. I learned so many lessons in the end that I can say it was worth going through everything. Definitely I know for myself I have been restored.


Elizabeth Gilbert said in Eat Pray Love: "Maybe my life hasn't been so chaotic. It's just the world that is and the only real trap is getting attached to any of it. Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I Went Loco in Ilocos

Another year over (almost)